Monday, April 27, 2009

strength and mobility

Anonymous
Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:30 pm Post subject: strength and mobility

I have written twice to you on this subject but I think I might not have made it clear on the issues I would like you to explain. I notice from my exercise, that I do possess strength, for example, I have he strength to hit, box and kick during my exercise. However, I do have difficulty in moving well. Mobility seems to be the problem here. I don't seem to be able to move fast with strength simultaneously. Although I can execute some moves sufficiently strongly, but I lack the speed in execution. Can you please enlighten me on why although I possess strength, I experience difficulty in mobility. I have checked with other patients suffering from Parkinson's Disease and they seem to have the same symptoms as me. Can you please elaborate on this. Teo Kim Hoo
Back to top


Dr. OkunJoined: 19 Jan 2007Posts: 251Location: University of Florida
Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:15 am Post subject:

Thanks for the question. Patients with PD often experience slowness in the execution of tasks and we refer to this as bradykinesia or akinesia. As the disease progresses this symptom may become increasingly less responsive to levodopa._________________Michael S. Okun, M.D.

No comments: