Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Misdiagnosing disease Parkinson's Patients

Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:55 am Post subject: Misdiagnosing disease

The Star Monday, 23/04/2007

Misdiagnosing disease Parkinson's patients being sent to psychiatrics instead PETALING JAYA:

Some Parkinson's Disease (PD) patients have been misdiagnosed as suffering from depression and were referred to psychiatrics, said a neurologist.

"We have to teach the public that the moment they have tremors, they have to think about PD." "Patients suffering from depression may have slower movements but not tremors," said Dr Chew Nee Kong at the Red Tulip campaign of World Parkinson's Disease Day recently. He said some also has been sent to heart specialists because of their difficulty in breathing and to bone specialists because they had body aches. "As a result of the non-specific nature of the disease, coupled with the lack of specialists and public awareness, diagnosis can be a challenge and delayed," he said. Symptoms of PD include the slowing down in speech and body movements, softening of voices and lacking in facial expression resembling ageing process. "Patients tend to think of these as a natural process and do not seek treatment," said Dr Chew.

PD is the result of lack of dopamine, a biochemical substance that is needed for body movement. Patients lack energy, have uncontrollable trembling of hands, sometimes of the head and jaw, and body stiffness. "With newer medication and brain surgery, patients do not have to suffer anymore. PD patients can now lead normal lives for 15 to 20 years," he said. "In 95% of PD cases, the cause was unknown while the other 5% were due to inherited genes or chemical substance in the environment," he said.
Back to top


Cucufate said...

Parkinson's disease is a big problem. This sickness needs to be treated for the rest of the life. When a person suffers of Parkinson's disease, she must be conscient that this problem is difficult to control and requires a lot of patience. When a young person has this health problem, she generally don't feel like living.
You must know that PD is a degenerative disorder ot the cenral nervous system and affects movements and speech. You can feel postural instability, rigidity, fail in your reflexes and pain in your articulations and muscles.
Take care of this sickness and don't loss the patience, because not all it's bad.

There are some solutions to control this problem; treatmnets with therapy and drugs.

If you want to know about this kind of drugs, please visit this website:

All in medicines

Anonymous said...

In a nutshell, there are basic benefits of writing articles and
having them published on directories:. This only affects the value of each
backlink when it come to search engine ranking.
Above all else, when you choose to buy a wind spinner, you’re buying
not just some framed steel gift; you’re buying a veritable moving sculpture.

Also visit my web-site :: article spinners