Sunday, March 20, 2011

anxiety and parkinson's

Anxiety is a very common non-motor symptom of PD. It was one of my first non-motor symptoms 20 years ago, before I was officially diagnosed with PD 3 years ago. I treated my anxiety with an anti-depressant after many years of struggling with it and thinking I could over-come it on my own. I have taken Paxil for many years and although most people think of it as an anti-depressant - SSRI drugs such as Paxil are "a fix" for anxiety as my doctor explained to me - not just a temporary band-aid like Xanax would be (Xanax is also very addictive and not a good drug to take everyday unless prescribed by your doctor). Paxil was so effective at relieving my severe anxiety that I expect I will be on it for many, many more years.

If your doctor does prescribe an anti-depressant for you, start out with a super low dosage to avoid any uncomfortable side effects in the beginning. I started with a 10 mg tablet (not capsule) that I cut in half for a 5 mg dose and took that for the first week or so and then upped it to 10 mg for the next week and then very slowly upped it to the dose my physician prescribed for me. This way I avoided all side effects, which can be very disturbing for a week or so, if you start on a higher dose.

That was my experience. Hopefully it will be helpful for you.

Lexie

2 comments:

oakleyses said...

kate spade outlet, uggs on sale, ugg boots, burberry handbags, gucci handbags, oakley sunglasses wholesale, oakley sunglasses, burberry outlet, prada handbags, michael kors outlet online, polo ralph lauren outlet online, ugg boots, cheap oakley sunglasses, louis vuitton, nike outlet, tiffany jewelry, uggs outlet, christian louboutin shoes, longchamp outlet, oakley sunglasses, longchamp outlet, michael kors outlet online, ray ban sunglasses, prada outlet, longchamp outlet, ray ban sunglasses, louis vuitton, michael kors outlet, replica watches, louis vuitton outlet, nike air max, uggs outlet, ray ban sunglasses, replica watches, nike air max, jordan shoes, tory burch outlet, nike free, michael kors outlet online, tiffany and co, christian louboutin uk, chanel handbags, christian louboutin outlet, polo outlet, oakley sunglasses, louis vuitton outlet

oakleyses said...

doke gabbana, canada goose, moncler uk, toms shoes, converse, ugg uk, nike air max, doudoune moncler, canada goose jackets, canada goose outlet, moncler outlet, barbour, ray ban, links of london, hollister, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, ugg, thomas sabo, moncler, pandora jewelry, moncler, canada goose uk, karen millen uk, supra shoes, louis vuitton, moncler, louis vuitton, marc jacobs, converse outlet, louis vuitton, juicy couture outlet, replica watches, swarovski crystal, juicy couture outlet, louis vuitton, vans, gucci, ugg pas cher, pandora jewelry, canada goose, montre pas cher, moncler, wedding dresses, swarovski, canada goose outlet, hollister, barbour uk, moncler outlet, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, pandora charms, canada goose outlet, canada goose, pandora uk