Monday, March 3, 2008

Do you challenge your doctor?

Post subject: Do you challange your doctor?

Doctors are human and human sometime make mistakes. Some doctors are good and some are bad. Let us share your experience "do you challange your doctor"? I have so far changed three neurologists. The first and second diagnosed me as age agiing and the third one diagnosed me as Parkinson's patient. It is not too late for me as I have battled the disease as I have a good neurologlist Dr. Chew for his excellent medications._________________to help the PD patients aware the diseases and encourage to set up support groups to educate the patients and their immediate families
Back to top



Rogerstar1Joined: 14 Mar 2007Posts: 234
Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:04 am Post subject:

Hi Teokimhoe: While I have not challenged my PD neurologist 'pill juggler' as new aches and pains have presented over the past twelve months in terms of distonia, arthritis, ulnar tunnel syndrome(?), carpel tunnel, a pinched nerve I discover I have outstrippped medical delivery systems and Drs who are not in communication. One set of x rays don't illuminate adequately for all physicians. They all need a unique set. Dr visits becsome a full time job and clear answers seem just as elusive. Alas...there is no cure after all. Best to you in Malaysia fr. Rogerstar.
Back to top




Rogerstar1Joined: 14 Mar 2007Posts: 234
Posted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:13 am Post subject:

....further, medication adjustment is near hope and prayer based anyway. Frequently I, as the pateint have been hard pressed to tell the Dr. two or three weeks after beginning the regimen whether I felt any different. The jolt of Simemet from a standstill or an aspirin in quelling a headache is not to be found in other PD drugs whose influence, if at all, is far more subtle. There is placbo and pschosomatic effect to rule out and then try an formulate an objective point of view whether its the new med or emotional state on the day of the appointment that is making you feel nominally better. The Dr can't realy help you make a determination. Mine rarly sees me medicated to the same level in successive appointments. I rather doubt she could recall from week to week anyway. Make and bring videos to the appointment for Dr to see? I prefer just going with my gut feeling. As long as I have my mental faculties Dr appears willing to follow my wishes to make decisions. I'm wondering if a second try of each med that 'didn't' work is tried one last time before brain surgerys. Not that I contemplate going that way. In the medication adjustment games, a neurologist willing to authorize from her offce directly to my pharmacy is a big help. Her difficult staff and CVS Pharamacy make it as difficult as possible I think sometimes. Medicaire Part C ( prescriptions?) can also be a hassle. To conclude, I can't imagine arguing with my Dr. over what med to take or try. It also must be very difficult for caregiviers to to make these descions for advanced patients who don't communicate well. R.

No comments: