Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Mediction and exercise



Author
Message
Anonymous
Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:24 pm Post subject: medications and exercises

I was diagnosed as PD in the year of Sept 2005 and taking Sinemet 25/100 one tablet at morning, afternoon and evening and one Jumet 5 mg at morning and afternoon only. I did very well in my gym classes at gym centre 2 -3 hours per day from Mon to Friday as I did not feel tired and exhausted. I took part body pump, combat, cardio, spinning, Yoga and Pilate when there were available in the gym. After 2 years in the gym exercises i.e 2005 to 2006 I started tired and exhausted at the beginning of the year 2007 after my first hour of gym exercise. Is it my PD movement disorders help me to continue the exercises for 2 to 3 hours that I do not feel tired and exhausted? Is it I am able to overcome/improvement of my movement disorders during the gym that I feel tired and exhausted i.e muscles are more flexibility, mobility and strength after 2 years of medication? Is it my medication wearing off and requires more doses or alternative? Is it my exercise cell help me to be able to spend 2 - 3 hours in the gym without feeling tired and exhausted during my first two years PD's life? Teo Kim Hoe
Back to top


Dr. OkunJoined: 19 Jan 2007Posts: 0Location: University of Florida
Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 6:23 pm Post subject:

Exercise is currently under investigation for putative neuroprotective effects in PD. We have always felt exercise is like a dug and stretching is very important. Exercise leads to changes in the chemicals in the PD brain that may be important symptomatically. Why have you had a decline? It is unclear, but I would suggest having your medications optimized. It may be a combination of problems including medications and PD progression. Exercise may have helped you from the very start of your disease and I would keep it up._________________Michael S. Okun, M.D.
Back to top




Anonymous
Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:59 pm Post subject: medication and exercises

I don't understand in your email why exercises had a decline i.e changes in the chemicals in the PD brain that may be important symptomatically? Would you kindly elaborate? Is that my exercise for a long times shorten the Sinemet i.e. effectiveness/ wearing off as exercise helps me from the very start of my disease? Any remedial to slowdown the PD besides exercises and medicines as exercise is still investigation of the effectiveness for putative neuroprotective effects in PD? Teo Kim Hoe
Back to top


Anonymous
Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:28 am Post subject: medication and exercises 4

After I have consulted with my doctor I increased one dose extra of Sinemet 25/100 before my bed time i.e. 4 doses of Sinemet per day: one in the morning, one in the afternoon, one in the evening and one before bed times i.e 4 hours in between. I feel much better and look more fresh i.e no hackles,no mask face, looking tired and exhausted after the exercises. I walk firmly and confidence. I agree it is the time for me to increase the intake of Sinemet. I still do not understand why the exercise leads to changes in the chemicals in the PD brain is so fast i.e 1 1/2 years only? Exercise and medication may have helped me for the very start of my disease but why it is wearing off 1 1/2 years and the Sinemet be increased? Why it had a decline? Is it I spend 2-3 hours on exercises daily and dried up the chemical in the PD brain? Would you tell me what are the possibilities lead to above changes? Would you tell me what are the combination of problems i.e PD progression and medication? Is it exercise? Teo Kim Hoe
Back to top


Dr. OkunJoined: 19 Jan 2007Posts: 0Location: University of Florida
Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:38 am Post subject:

We do not honestly know the specific answers to your questions. PD is a progressive neuro degenerative disease. Presumably up regulation of some chemicals early in the course when more cells are preserved would likely have more benefit. I do not honestly think exercise can stave off PD, but there is a notion it can positively influence the course. I would therefore adjust medications and continue daily exercising if you can._________________Michael S. Okun, M.D.
Back to top




Anonymous
Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:47 am Post subject: medications and exercises

Thank you for your explanation of the PD as there is no treatment of the disease but there is a way to slowdown progression i.e medication and exercises. The doctor has to monitor, adjust and optimize the effectiveness of medications. Teo Kim Hoe
Back to top


Anonymous
Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:45 pm Post subject:

PD is a progressive neurodegenerative disease. It is also a chronic disease, possibility an aging disease. There are possibilities to slowdown the progression i.e exercises and medications. Medications have to be monitored and optimized for its effectiveness to slowdown the progression from time to time by doctor. Stretching is important and helpful for your body i.e flexibility, mobility and strength. Teo Kim Hoe
Back to top

No comments: