Sunday, June 29, 2008

A new wave (Tsunami) against Parkinson's by Dr.NK Chew

Mr Teo's blog creates a huge impact on the world Parkinson's community because it contains the personal accounts of a great man who suffers from Parkinson's himself. Mr Teo is so frank to reveal and discuss his own personal and medical problems with the whole world.

Let me tell you this true story. Once, I made some honest but frank comments on a Parkinson's patient's lifestyle and medications. I told him that he should increase the dose of his daily medications as I thought that his treatment was too conservative (i.e. he was under-medicated). And I told him that he should also work harder in carrying out daily exercise programs such as morning walk and cycling at home. Finally, I told him that he was a bit too dependent on his wife in his daily activities. All I wanted was to encourage him to live a more physically active life.

This patient replied, "doctor, it is easy for you to say all these. I am the one who suffers from Parkinson's, and not you."

I was taken aback by this statement. Initially, I was a bit annoyed by this "rude" reply. But looking back, I don't think it was rude because there was a lot of truth in it.

It is easy for healthy people (including doctors) to make comments on Parkinson's patients. It is easy to say, "do this and do that". Sometimes, we tend to under-estimate or overlook the sufferings of Parkinson's patients because we (healthy people) don't feel what they feel.

The learning point from this story is that the best people to understand Parkinson's patients are the Parkinson's patients themselves. Therefore, it is important that Parkinson's patients share information and experiences with each other. One good way to achieve this is a Parkinson's blog, as the one which Mr. Teo has started.

I really hope that more and more Parkinson's patients will come up with their own blogs, and follow the footsteps of Hero Teo.

Dr Chew Nee Kong
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.


Dear Dr.Chew,

In response of your article Tsunami. .
It is the attitude of the Parkinson's makes the crucial differences.

They are self-conscious about Parkinson's symptom
How one reacts to PD (or anything for that matter) is of vital importance.
Thanks
Teo

No comments: