Sunday, July 12, 2009

NPF Forum Secret recipe behind the mask

teokimhoeJoined: 03 Mar 2007Posts: 142Location: Malaysia
Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:15 am Post subject: secret recipe behind the mask

Parkinson’s medications merely relieve the motor symptoms (i.e. tremor, rigidity, akinesia) but do not have any specific effect in slowing down the disease progression. As such, being a progressive and degenerative neurological disorder, Parkinson’s leads to increasing severity of symptoms and gradual decline in the quality of life. Typically, Parkinson’s patients need to increase the daily dose of medications almost every 1-2 years, in order to maintain their physical function. Last year, I needed eight tablets of Requip (2 mg) and three tablets of Sinemet CR (250) daily. My doctor told me that I needed that much of medications to keep me going in the gym while doing long hours of strenuous exercises. Over the past two months, I have been sleeping well (for 6-7 hours) every night after I started on a “sleep cocktail” – Xanax ½ tablet, Seroquel ½ tablet, Lexapro ½ tablet and Stilnox ½ tablet. Prior to this, I could sleep for only 4-5 hours per day. With the better sleep quality, I feel much stronger now. My physical endurance has improved. It is much easier for me to carry out strenuous exercise at the gym nowadays, for up to 3 hours daily. Ever since my stroke last year, I had been finding it difficult to focus on the road while driving. I wonder whether this was due to phobia (I had stroke while driving) or my Parkinson’s. However, the good news is that recently I have started driving again without any difficulty. I have also managed to cut down my medications to two tablets of Requip (2 mg) and three tablets of Sinemet CR (250) daily. Isn’t it strange that I have been able to reduce the daily dose of Parkinson’s medications, while other Parkinson’s patients have to keep on increasing their daily dose? Is it because of the status of Parkinson’s as a “designer disease” – the manifestations (some have predominant motor symptoms, others have predominant non-motor symptoms), physical disability (some are serious, others are not) and speed of disease progression vary a lot among patients. Or is it possible that my profound understanding of the symptoms of Parkinson's, exercise,diet and supplements have successfully slowed down the progression of disease (i.e. disease-modifying or neuroprotective therapy)? My exercise trainers are very surprised that I have been doing much better in the gym compared with more than two months ago. Even my doctor, relatives and friends agree with this. Sometimes, I even feel like a “normal person” behind the mask._________________to help the PD patients aware the diseases and encourage to set up support groups to educate the patients and their immediate families
Back to top



wheelersceJoined: 02 Mar 2007Posts: 779Location: MI
Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:43 pm Post subject:

Hi, Teo, I'm glad you're doing well. As you say, PD is very individual. Not many of us could work out 3 hours a day, but I'm sure whatever exercise we do, with other good health habits, is beneficial. Best regards, Sue W.
Back to top




StargazerJoined: 26 Dec 2007Posts: 214Location: Eastern Washington
Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:33 pm Post subject:

Teo I find your post very interesting, the group of meds you take were they all prescribed by your Dr.? I do not even know what some of them are for I must look them up. I also find your statement, " Sometimes, I even feel like a “normal person” behind the mask." I look at my pictures that have been taken that is exactly what I think, why do I look like that I feel great or am happy. Teo keep it up you are doing it right as Sue said most of us do not have the 3 hour time but I realize even a hard day of work makes me feel much better. Thanks for sharing. Deeann
Back to top
Rogerstar1



Joined: 14 Mar 2007
Posts: 413

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:24 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Teo-
You must be doing something right if you're feeling better and doing bertter. I wonder what would happen if you cut back a tablet of the CR 250 Sinemet. Or, for that matter if you were to add a half tablet or shorten interval and add a fourth. Any thoughts on this? What are your intitial wearing off symptoms?
Thanks for sharing and contrinued success with your program. Roger
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My myspace profile locked up I was editing my layout the other day now it wont let me or anyone else look at my profile is there a way to clear my profile so it would work without going to it
__________________
[url=http://jail-break-ps3.blogspot.com/2010/12/jail-break-ps3.html]Jail break ps3[/url]