Sunday, June 10, 2007

Emotional disorders and Parkinson Disease3

Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:52 am Post subject: Emotional disorders and Parkinson Disease

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Doctor,

I was refereed by Dr. Kathrynne Holden, to post the following:

As emotional and cognitive disorders are common in Parkinson's disease, but are frequently overlooked or under treated.

Some PD patients are aware of the emotional disorders and associated with their matrimonial relationship when they come to certain disagreements. As the result they have depressive,delusions and sleep disorders. They usually refer to marriage counselling or psychiatric consultation.


In this connection I have the emotional disorders for the past of 20 years and they are associated with the matrimonial relationship until recently I find out they are byproduct of PD. All efforts going to marriage counselling or psychiatric are frustrating.

I understand there are between 40-60% PD patients have emotional disorders. Sensitivity to certain behaviours,issues and understanding are the causes of bad matrimonial relationship. They are the byproduct of
anxiety,phobias,apathy,hallucinations,delusions and sleep disorders.

Kindly advise me how to address the psychiatric and cognitive side effects of anti-Parkinson medications and surgical treatments.

Thanks

TEOKIMHOE

Back to top


Kathrynne Holden, MS, RD



Joined: 22 Jan 2007
Posts: 94
Location: www.nutritionucanlivewith.com
Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:43 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Teo,
These are very good questions to raise, because there are many emotional as well as cognitive changes that may occur as PD progresses. Emotional instability, depression, attitudes toward sexuality, all may occur.

However, this is outside my scope of practice as a registered dietitian. This requires the efforts of a neurologist who specializes in PD who can determine whether counseling or medications or a combination of both is the best approach.

I highly recommend you address this question to "Ask the Doctor" -- the doctors have wide experience in the many mental and emotional changes occurring in PD.
_________________
Best regards,
Kathrynne Holden, MS, RD
--
For a Parkinson Tip

Okun,

Back to top


Dr. Okun



Joined: 19 Jan 2007
Posts: 251
Location: University of Florida
Posted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:30 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are high rates of depression, anxiety, apathy and other mood/emotional disorders in PD. PD also causes stress on marriages. The two must BOTH be treated. I suggest SSRI's, clinical psychiatry, psychology, and marital counseling. I take these problems seriously in my patients and I use the multidisciplinary team.
_________________
Michael S. Okun, M.D.

Back to top


Anonymous






Posted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:44 am Post subject: Emotional disorders and Parkinson Disease

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Doctor,

I have known PD as an illness of the "body, mind and soul

As for me my psychiatric problems have been normal. I have improved my matrimonial relationship.

I understand emotional disorders are the byproduct of PD and it is more difficult to treat than the movement problem as new discovery made drastic improvement in the treatment of the movement problem in PD. Cognitive disorders are common in PD - anxiety,depression etc

As I have difficult agility's my doctor increases my medication from one requip 0.25mg to two, three and four doses weekly three times a day.

For anti depression: one fluvoxamine maleate 50mg and Rivotril 0.5mg at night

He will cutdown my sinemet 25/100 and Jumex 5mg as times goes by to optimize the medication. As sinement has sideeffect on me sleepless at night, bad dream, agility's and emotional stress.

Kindly comment

TEOKIMHOE

Back to top


Dr. Fernandez



Joined: 20 Jan 2007
Posts: 90

Posted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:19 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think you asked a similar question on this already that I tried to answer.

Yours,
_________________
Hubert H. Fernandez

Back to top

No comments: