Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Blood Clot in the Brain

: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:28 am Post subject: Blood Clot in the brain

I have a blood clot in my brain and were treated with one dosage of Plavix, 1/2 of Diovan and one Cardiprin 100 mg medicines daily.

I had a stroke suddenly when I was driving that I was unable to move my body.

This is my first experinece in my life. and was sent into the hospital.

I have a few questions to ask the doctor about my health:

Am I at risk for a future heart attack or stroke?

Is it at increased risk for having a future heart attack or stroke?

Can the medicines prescribe help me more protection against a future heart attack and stroke?

How long do I continue to take the above medicines? Is it the sideeffect of the Parkinson's medicine that caused me a stroke ?
Back to top

Dr. FernandezJoined: 20 Jan 2007Posts: 90
Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:40 am Post subject:

First, I doubt that your PD has anything to do with your stroke. These are probably 2 independent illnesses that just happen to occur in one person--you! Just like some people have migraine and diabetes at the same time.

Unfortunately, having a stroke does put you at slightly higher risk for future strokes. But you are on the right drugs. Plavix will give you 25% exgra protection from further strokes.

The rest, you will need to do your part--modify your lifestyle--healthy living--keep your blood pressure low, no smoking, fish and vegestables, avoid fired foods, if needed use canola oil, exercise at least 30 minutes per day, aerobic is better, watch lots of comedies, be happy and avoid stress as much as possible!

If you do all these...you will outlive me!

Best of luck to you,_________________Hubert H. Fernandez



Dr Fernandez is absolutely right. Both PD and stroke are illnesses which affect the elderly people. Sometimes, by chance, an elderly person has both illnesses. Stroke and PD are unrelated illnesses. The PD medications do not increase the risk of getting stroke. Dr Chew Nee Kong, Kuala Lumpur



Dear Mr Teo Dr Fernandez is absolutely right. Both PD and stroke are illnesses which affect the elderly people. Sometimes, by chance, an elderly person has both illnesses. Stroke and PD are unrelated illnesses. The PD medications do not increase the risk of getting stroke. Dr Chew Nee Kong, Kuala Lumpur
Back to top


Dr. OkunJoined: 19 Jan 2007Posts: 251Location: University of Florida
Posted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:18 pm Post subject:

I agree, thanks for the post and the answer._________________Michael S. Okun, M.D.


Back to top


No comments: