Thursday, February 28, 2008

Is it the cure the beginning or the end of life?





Post subject: Is it the cure the begining or the end of life?

Dear Doctor, Some patients leave their PD to the doctors and drugs for treatment as Parkinson's is a lifetime diseases. It is kill or cure.
Back to top


Dr. OkunJoined: 19 Jan 2007Posts: 251Location: University of Florida
Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:57 am Post subject:

Thank you for the post. I am a glass is half full person and in PD I am definitely that way. Most patients in point of fact do not die of their PD, they die of heart disease, cancer, stroke, vascular disease, etc. If your PD is well managed you may encounter difficult to treat symptoms but your quality of life and existence can usually be great. Keep your head up!_________________Michael S. Okun, M.D.










Water and Dehydration?

Water is the one of the most important components of cells in many vital organs (including the brain). Water plays a major role in maintaining the integrity of the blood-brain barrier. Thus, dehydration certainly causes brain cell dysfunction. However, it difficult to ascertain whether the degree of cell dysfunction, due to dehydration, is sufficient to lead to brain diseases such as Parkinson's Disease. Dr Chew, Neurologlist


Dr. OkunJoined: 19 Jan 2007Posts: 251Location: University of Florida
Posted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:10 pm Post subject:

Thank you for the comment. Dehydration has been linked to worsening symptoms, but is not linked to causing PD. I agree.


wheelersceJoined: 02 Mar 2007Posts: 357Location: MI
Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:54 am Post subject:

Teokimhoe, Of course, you are right that it's often "better to give than to receive." But I think we persons with Parkinson's have to understand that sometimes we simply have to focus on ourselves, and that's ok, too. We shouldn't feel guilty about it. And eventually, we will all be on the receiving end of help. There is beauty, too, in being a gracious receiver, allowing others the opportunity to give. It depends on where we are on this journey. Sue W



Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:09 am Post subject:

I agree with you both, but I have a hard time focusing on myself. Example: Yesterday I was able to get out of the house and visit with my Granddaddy, who is in the nursing home. He just found out he is getting a private room and so excited. So, here I go (not complaining), as excited as he, to get him things for his room that he wants. In the meantime, I am also looking for my friend some furniture for her childs room. I also had to buy groceries for my family but by the time I do all my running around and get to Wal-Mart, I give completely out, start shaking, feet dragging, my speech is slurred because I am exhausted. I decided to sit and rest and maybe I wil get my strength back to finish, but I didn't. I even had people come by and laugh at me. I finally had to call my dear husband to my rescue (once again). I was so frustrated with myself, but it happens so fast. I just can't figure out this balance of helping others but also taking care of myself. This disease is so unpredictable and real pain in the ___, but I am still blessed!!! Candy

No comments: